top of page

Westport Old Stations and Apparatus

One night in 1927 a group of men out bowling were told that the Town Shed was on fire. When they arrived they found not the shed but the woods adjacent to the shed ablaze. Collectively they determined to organize and on November 28, 1927 the Westport Volunteer Fire Company is formed. The Volunteer Organization sets out to raise funds for firefighting equipment and to lobby the Town for a fire department.

Station No. 1
911 Main Road
The first fire station in Town was built on land leased to the Westport Volunteer Fire Company from the Wood family in 1928 the cost of construction at the time was $3,000. The original cinder block building had only a single level until funds could be raised to add the second floor. The construction was funded by holding dinners, dances and whist parties at the Grange Hall.
The station housed 2 engines until a 3 bay addition was added in 1978. The addition was paid for by donations from citizens, civic groups and friends, amounting to $20,000. Construction labor was provided by the students of Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School.
The Station served the town faithfully for 80 years until age, structural defects and crowding forced the construction of a new station in 2009.  The building is now privately owned.
Station No. 2
State Road
In 1932 the need for additional fire protection in North Westport prompts the start of the North Westport Volunteer Fire Company. The Company builds an engine on a used Studebaker chassis and establishes a fire station in the Greenwood Park section of Town. To help the fledgling Volunteers get started, hose and other firefighting equipment are provided by the Town, but this gesture sows the seeds of discord that would come to a head in April of 1938.
In April 1938 a disagreement between the Fire Chief and the North Westport Volunteers, over control of the engine ends in the volunteers being stripped of all the equipment purchased by the Town. Chief Potter opens a new fire company 600 feet East of the volunteer station at Routhier’s Garage. Lease on the station in 1938 from Azila Routhier was $88.00 for the year in 1969, the last year it was rented from then owner Paul Ainsworth, the Department paid the sum of $1040.00.  The need to accommodate the larger engines forces the Town to explore the construction of a new station.
Station No. 3
98 Reed Road
With the forming of the Head of Westport Fire Association in December of 1946, planning begins to construct a fire station in the Head of Westport. In 1948 building plans are accepted and construction begins. The work is paid for with funds raised by the firefighters July 4th parade and fireworks. The station will operate until funding and staffing shortages force its closure in 1989. The building is pictured above shortly before the second floor was added. The building is now privately owned.
Other Engine Houses
Macumbers Garage w-Eng2 1938 retouched.jpg
On occasion there have been other building that served as fire stations, one being Macomber's Garage at the intersection of Hixbridge Road and Horseneck Road. While fire apparatus was a regular visitor to Mr. Macomber’s garage for repair, after the hurricane of 1938 destroyed Hixbridge an engine was stationed here to protect South Westport until the bridge could be reopened.
Chemical No. 1, a hand pulled chemical fire cart was stationed in the Head of Westport . It is believed that it was kept in the building shown below that was known for many years at the “Head Garage”, It also was the temporary home to the 1938 Autocar oil truck converted by members of the department into Engine 4 in 1946. Shown here here in front of her one time home in this 1947 photo.

Fire Trucks

Emergency Medical Rescues

Ambulance service is first offered to the citizens of Westport by the police department beginning October 12, 1937. The police would continue to provide this service for the next 37 years until July 1, 1974 when the fire department officially assumed the responsibility of providing emergency care.

Other Fire Apparatus

bottom of page